Friday, July 22, 2011

Hidden from View

This print, owned by the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, is a 1777 colored etching of Marie Antoinette by Jean-François Janinet.
Vive la Reine has some rare portraits of Marie-Antoinette that are kept at American museums but are currently not on display. I wonder why?

Etching from the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York



Firescreen embroidered by Marie-Antoinette at the Metropolitan Museum of Art  
An 1821 Sèvres bust of Marie Antoinette, Metropolitan Museum of Art


From The Walters Art Museum:
Portrait of Marie Antoinette circa 1774 by Peter Adolf Hall
From the National Gallery of Art: Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette Crowned by Love, 1775 (chalk with ink and watercolor) by Gabriel Jacques de Saint-Aubin
From the Metropolitan Museum of Art:
Allegory on the Marriage of the Dauphin and Marie-Antoinette in 1770 by Gabriel de Saint-Aubin
Share

8 comments:

Orchard Ville said...

Oh my gosh, thank you so much for posting this! I thought I have seen all portraits and paintings of her. I'm also wondering why it's in America...

elena maria vidal said...

Thank you! Wealthy Americans bought them overseas. Unfortunately, they are not on display.

tubbs said...

Now I know the sin of covetousness(sp?). I want that miniature!

elena maria vidal said...

Me, too! It's lovely, isn't it?

Anna Gibson said...

I can understand when print portraits are left off display (I rarely see prints on display at all!) but it's so sad when paintings, particularly uncommon or unknown paintings, are kept in storage away from eyes forever. At least some museums do keep collections online and we can see the art - when I was putting together a guide on artwork that is on display in America, I came across so many pieces that were listed only with a title and a name and no picture!

anothertwocents said...

Don't bigger museums often display at most 10% to 20% of their inventory?

May said...

Beautiful woman. My favorite posts on Tea at Trianon are these about Marie-Antoinette and family:-)

elena maria vidal said...

That's a shame Anna.

You're probably right, atc.

Thank you, Matterhorn. I try to post on other topics as well to show that Louis and Antoinette did not live and die in a vacuum. The Revolution which put them to death still influences us today in many ways. Similarly, there is still much good that remains, which they would appreciate.