Monday, July 16, 2018

The President I Didn’t Want

From USA Today:
First, he picked Mike Pence as his running mate. As I’ve written before, I’ve known Pence for over 20 years and he has the conservative bona fides. So, of course, I supported this decision. Then, after taking office, Trump began to reverse President Barack Obama's executive orders and burdensome regulations on businesses. He approved the Keystone XL pipeline. He cut taxes and the economy picked up steam. Again, I supported these decisions. Sure, he failed to repeal Obamacare, but its individual mandate was repealed in the tax-cut bill. 

As a Christian, I have been accused of hypocrisy and my faith has been questioned for not condemning Trump's past extramarital affairs, his language and treatment of women. Look, I know he is a deeply flawed man. So am I. The Bible says we all are. But evangelicals believe in grace and forgiveness and are commanded to pray for our leaders. So I support him in prayer.

Trump has proven to be pro-religious liberty, pro-life and pro-Israel. He moved the American embassy to Jerusalem, pulled out of the Paris climate agreement and the Trans-Pacific Partnership, and began negotiations to denuclearize North Korea. I support all of these policies. There have been a few hiccups. Trump signed a budget bill that increased the national debt, which is now over $21 trillion. The Russia probe is still a cloud over his administration, and I don't like trade wars. 

But here’s the dominating reason I’ve changed my mind about Trump's ability to lead: judges. I support his picks of Justice Neil Gorsuch, his new U.S. Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh and the host of conservative federal judges that Trump has gotten confirmed. I shudder to think of the activist judges that a President Hillary Clinton would have picked.

In my opinion, Trump has had the most successful 18 months as president than any other I've ever drawn. So yes, I support his presidency. I admit that I was wrong about Trump. He's not a clown. He's a businessman, entertainer, and now the president that I didn't want but now think we need. (Read more.)
Pictures of President and Mrs. Trump in the UK, HERE and HERE. Share

2 comments:

julygirl said...

Regarding the trade wars....we must keep in mind Trump's negotiating style and methods. All the hoopla about the trade issue is affecting his negotiating technique which is being undermined. So people need to shut up and trust the President.

elena maria vidal said...

I agree.