Wednesday, July 2, 2014

On King Charles X of France

King Leopold I of the Belgians remembered his benefactor with charity. To quote:
... Poor Charles X. is dead, it is said of the cholera. I regret him; few people were ever kinder to me than the good old man. He was blinded by certain absolute ideas, but a good man, and deserving to be loved. History will state that Louis XVIII was a most liberal monarch, reigning with great mildness and justice to his end, but that his brother, from his despotic and harsh disposition, upset all the other had done, and lost the throne. Louis XVIII was a clever, hard-hearted man, shackled by no principle, very proud and false. Charles X was an honest man, a kind friend, an honourable master, sincere in his opinions, and inclined to do everything that is right. (Read more.)
Share

2 comments:

May said...

Leopold I was an astute man.

Gio said...

Can't believe I've only seen this now. Thank you for sharing my post. I really appreciate it.