Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Recusant Bonds

From Stephanie Mann:
Caryll Houselander, like St. Hildegard of Bingen, was a visionary: she had vivid experiences of seeing Christ in the world and even had a vision of Sidney Reilly suffering in a Russian prison. She had loved Reilly but he had married someone else--his story was told in the BBC miniseries, Reilly: Ace of Spies in 1983. (Read entire post.)

My posts on Sidney Reilly, the real James Bond, and Caryll Houselander are HERE and HERE. Share

4 comments:

Stephanie A. Mann said...

Thanks for the link! I really enjoyed your interview on Christine Niles' radio show--I'm set to talk to her on December 1. What troubled me about this story was that I could find no information about recusant Bonds in Dorset. All searches led back to that one post, and there is no background to it. A Google Book about Dorset never mentioned the Bonds as recusants and all the detail I did find about them pointed to them being firmly supporting the Church of England! I think the Caryll Houselander-Sidney Reilly parallel is much more interesting.

elena maria vidal said...

Thank you, Stephanie. I wonder where the origin of the story of the Recusant Bonds came from. It might be based on research that is not yet online, material that you would have to go to England to find in some out of print book in a little convent library.

julygirl said...

I think on a previous post you mentioned that he was the inspiration for Ian Fleming's James Bond.

elena maria vidal said...

Yes, Julygirl, Sidney Reilly was, and there was an old English family of Bonds where Fleming may have gotten the name.