Saturday, May 10, 2008

Handkerchiefs

As the gate clashed behind them, a voice cried from the window:

"Girl, girls!
Have you both got nice pocket handkerchiefs?"

"Yes, yes, spandy nice, and Meg has cologne on hers," cried Jo, adding, with a laugh, as they went on, "I do believe Marmee would ask that if we were all running away from an earthquake."

"It is one of her aristocratic tastes, and quite proper, for a real lady is always known by neat boots, gloves, and handkerchief," replied Meg....

~
from Louisa May Alcott's Little Women

The handkerchief is yet another relic of western civilization that has fallen into disuse. Crumpled tissues have replaced them, or worse, people wipe their eyes and noses with their fingers. In the case of infectious colds, tissues are more sanitary, but cloth hankies are easier on the nose. They are also easier on the environment. Ironing handkerchiefs is not really necessary, although it is a nice touch. They are easy to wash, just use hot water and a little bleach.

The May/June 2007 issue of Southern Lady Magazine had a lovely article about handkerchiefs by Phyllis Hoffman. Mrs. Hoffman describes how important handkerchiefs were in the days when there was courtship and coquetry:
During the 19th century, handkerchiefs were indispensable. In fact, young ladies and gentlemen actually communicated through hankie gestures since strict rules of propriety prohibited much contact otherwise. If the lady drew the handkerchief across her lips while she looked at a young man, it meant she wanted to meet him. If she placed it upon her cheek, that meant she loved him. Sweeping the cloth across the forehead was the signal that they were being watched! ("Gracious Living with Phyllis Hoffman" Southern Lady Magazine, May/June 2007, no. 3, p. 78)
Handkerchiefs make lovely gifts; they are charming to have at weddings and formal occasions. Children should be taught early on to always have a hankie or a tissue with them, so that they are not going around wiping their noses on their hands and sleeves. It is a small matter, but one that involves healthy self-respect, as well as regard for the sensibilities of others. Share

11 comments:

Terry Nelson said...

I always have a clean one in my back pocket every day, even around the house.

elena maria vidal said...

What a gentleman....

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

In my elementary school, the handkerchief was practically, if unofficially a part of the uniform. Every girl had a collection of handkerchiefs at home so that she could use a different one each day. I can't remember ever using my own handkerchiefs for anything except making a "baby in a basket" or "peeling a banana," but I brought one every day anyway.

This habit was never carried over into high school. Some classmates always had a handkerchief handy, but everyone else found a practical replacement. Some carried disposable tissues or even baby wipes, while others invested in a bottle of (then-new) instant hand sanitiser.

elena maria vidal said...

A bottle of hand sanitizer does come in handy, too, especially when out and about with the family.

papabear said...

Every girl had a collection of handkerchiefs at home so that she could use a different one each day.

Enbrethiliel:
A question from someone who has known only the plain white handkerchief--how was such diversity achieved?

papabear said...

Hand sanitizers are becoming more and more common in classrooms...

Allison said...

Hello, this is near and dear to my heart.

My mother, my grandmother, aunts all had lovely collections of handerchiefs, little works of art, filling up a drawer in their dressing rooms. Above my kitchen window and above my powderroom window I have shabbily hung them to enjoy them daily. (I'll try to take a photo and post it on my blog.)

For Christmas, I had hankies monogrammed for my sons. Even at our wedding our "gifts" to our guests were hankies at their place setting. Each man had a plain white on with his name sewn into it and the ladies had very flowery embrodiered ones with their names sewn on.

Thank you for reminding me of the loveliness of hankies. ;)

Unknown said...

I am inevitably reminded of the scene from Gone With the Wind when Rhett says to Scarlett, "Here, take my handkerchief. Never, at any crisis of your life, have I known you to have a handkerchief."

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Enbrethiliel:
A question from someone who has known only the plain white handkerchief--how was such diversity achieved?


Papa Bear,

I have two words for you: HELLO KITTY! =P

Well, Hello Kitty and all her friends. My favourites were the Little Twin Stars, Mimi and Kiki.

papabear said...

Enbrethiliel:

Ah, the world of Sanrio! hah!

Kimberly said...

My little daughters are obsessed with handkerchiefs! Since I've learned to needle-tat, I've decided to begin working on lace edgings to "fancy" them up a bit! They are ever so much nicer than the perpetually wadded mass of tissue I've seen fished out of many a pocketbook...