Monday, January 10, 2011

Elsie de Wolfe

She has been called the inventor of interior design.
Her philosophy: "On a cushion which accompanies me everywhere is my philosophy: 'Never complain. Never explain.' Nothing ages a woman like worry or bad temper. . . . Make-up is an art that every woman must learn for herself. There is one element which must always go into it. Plenty of time."
More quotes:
"Be pretty if you can, be witty if you must, but be gracious if it kills you."

"It is the personality of the mistress that the home expresses. Men are forever guests in our homes, no matter how much happiness they may find there."

"I believe in plenty of optimism and white paint."

"Simplicity, suitability and proportion."

"The cardinal virtue of all beauty is restraint."

"I am going in now for interior decoration. By that I mean supplying objets d'art and giving advice regarding the decoration of their houses to wealthy persons who do not have the time, inclination, nor culture to do such work for themselves. It is nothing new. Women have done the same thing before."

"I am going to make everything around me beautiful. That will be my life."
Share

4 comments:

Dymphna said...

I love Elsie DeWolf. Her book is a hoot.

elena maria vidal said...

I'll bet it is.

Julygirl said...

I totally agree with her. Amen. What is missing in our current culture is culture.

May said...

"It is the personality of the mistress that the home expresses. Men are forever guests in our homes, no matter how much happiness they may find there."

Brilliant!