Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Immortal Beloved

Monsieur de Brantigny discusses the mystery of Beethoven's "Immortal Beloved." Here is the original letter:
...Good morning, on July 7 Though still in bed, my thoughts go out to you, my Immortal Beloved, now and then joyfully, then sadly, waiting to learn whether or not fate will hear us - I can live only wholly with you or not at all - Yes, I am resolved to wander so long away from you until I can fly to your arms and say that I am really at home with you, and can send my soul enwrapped in you into the land of spirits - Yes, unhappily it must be so - You will be the more contained since you know my fidelity to you. No one else can ever possess my heart - never - never - Oh God, why must one be parted from one whom one so loves. And yet my life in V is now a wretched life - Your love makes me at once the happiest and the unhappiest of men - At my age I need a steady, quiet life - can that be so in our connection?...

More HERE.

Share

1 comment:

Brantigny said...

Thank you Elena-Maria. I have looked at my stats, and there are a lot of you readers who graciously dropped in by me. I have made 20000 hits today. Thanks for the plug.

de Btantigny