Pages

Friday, April 4, 2008

The Duchess



A film is in the works about the infamous Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire, starring Keira Knightley. It is based on the acclaimed biography by Amanda Foreman, which I have not yet read. Georgiana was a friend of Marie-Antoinette's, not that they saw each other all that often. They were related through the Stuarts. Georgiana, who undoubtedly had a racy life even for the eighteenth century, was regarded as one of the great beauties of her time and influential in the worlds of both fashion and politics.

7 comments:

  1. They'll probably turn it into a sex romp with an R rating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. And I wish Keira would learn to stand up straight. She has a lovely face but her posture is atrocious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait..after all, we are Stuarts (with a "u"--the Catholic Stuarts) on my Mother's side!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really! That is fascinating! I love the Stuarts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ralph Fiennes is also in the movie--I like him as an actor...

    I know someone who is waiting for the movie eagerly because it is a period piece and has Keira Knightley; I hope it hasn't been dumbed down.

    Have you see The Lady and the Duke?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, papabear, it was quite good, although a lot of people criticized it. That Grace Elliot-- what a character!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, thanks! I'll have to check it out one of these days!

    ReplyDelete

Courteous comments are welcome. If a comment is not published, it may be due to a technical error. At any rate, do not take offense; it is nothing personal. Slanderous comments will not be published. Anonymity may be tolerated, but politeness is required.

I would like to respond to every comment but my schedule renders it impossible to do so. Please know that I appreciate those who take the time to share their thoughts.