Thursday, April 8, 2021

Vintage Pyrex


 From Apartment Therapy:

My fascination with vintage Pyrex started at a flea market last year in Brooklyn, on one of those unseasonably warm days in January that make New York City feel as though it’s worth all the trouble. I was browsing a stall full of mismatched dishware and cut crystal whiskey glasses, when I stumbled upon the item that ultimately stole my attention: a green casserole dish decorated with a playful floral motif. It reminded me of home, even though it looked nothing like the dishes I’d grown up with. I didn’t buy it, but upon leaving the market, I immediately regretted not doing so. 

I’m still not exactly sure what it was, in particular, that tugged at my heartstrings, but I needed that dish. Thanks to some quick sleuthing online, I learned that I had been looking at a Pyrex Spring Blossom Casserole dish in Avocado Green. According to the Corning Museum of Glass, this pattern was introduced in 1972 and sold until 1979, with a second version of the pattern sold until 1981, making it one of Pyrex’s longest selling patterns. Luckily for me, I used Etsy to find an identical Spring Blossom casserole dish to the one I’d seen in-person and had it shipped to my apartment right away. It’s a handy serving dish for dips, sides, and veggies, but more than anything, I enjoy looking at it in my kitchen. (Read more.)


Share

No comments: