Friday, May 8, 2020

Writings of Louis XVI

Some writings of the young Louis as he prepared to reign. (Translated with help from Google.) From Contre-Révolution:
On piety

My devotion must be enlightened, simple, generous. Enlightened, that is to say, founded in principles; Simple, that is to say without affectation or singularity; Generous, that is to say free from human respect. I propose to engrave very deeply in my mind the precepts of my religion; and when I pray to the Lord, I will precede by the homage the feeling of my heart the acts of worship which I will render to Him externally. In all my piety exercises, I will bear the memory of a God always existing, always present, always enlightening my thoughts, always probing my heart; I will be recollected, full of faith, respect, fervor and love. (Read more.)
  
More beautiful thoughts from a young prince, who wanted so badly to be a good ruler, also from Contre-Révolution:
The first principle of all good government is humanity, kindness and beneficence. The first duty of humanity for a prince is to maintain the law of nations, or the law which serves as a rule for the commerce which the nations have together; the law of nations, which is really the natural law of states, and natural law itself, in so far as it is applied not only to men considered as such, but to men considered as peoples, nations and states, in the relationships they have with each other. This right of people without humanity would be nothing but vain speculation; with humanity, it becomes a sacred right, a bond of peace and harmony between all peoples. Humanity teaches us to look at other peoples as societies whose happiness interests us, and which we could not harm without injustice. It obliges us to use the same good faith towards foreign peoples as it does towards citizens; to be faithful to the treaties concluded with them; to respect their envoys, as clothed in a sacred character; not to rescue the enemies of a state with which one is at peace; not to disturb his trade, not to invade his possessions, not to ravage his provinces; and, even in the most just war, there are rules prescribed by the law of nations or the law of humanity, which is like the application or the exercise thereof. (Read more.)
 
Share

1 comment:

May said...

I once read a collection of the King’s writings compiled by the Coursacs. It was very touching. His intelligence, nobility of spirit and determination come through clearly.

I know he prayed that his blood not be visited upon France but in many ways, it was.