Sunday, July 2, 2017

Which Glass for Which Drink?

From Kevin Lee Jacobs:
Red wine goblets. These have large, balloon-shaped bowls. The design permits the swirling and aerating of Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Pinot Noir, and other red wines.  You can find such glasses at better kitchen-supply stores, or purchase them in sets from Amazon.

Unlike their red wine colleagues, white wine goblets have a fairly narrow bowl and an extra-long stem. The small surface area slows oxidation of the wine, while allowing its subtle scents (a/k/a “notes”) to escape upwards towards the nose. White wine glasses should always be held by the stem. Otherwise, your hand will warm the wine. Pictured above: a set of 4 Paksh Italian White Wine Goblets, $19.95 from Amazon. 

Champagne flutes have a long, narrow body and a tiny mouth. Confined this way, bubbles do not dissipate too quickly. (Who wants flat Champagne or Prosecco?)Flutes are inexpensive and easy to find at department stores and kitchen supply stores.  (Read more.)

No comments: