Thursday, August 6, 2015

My Portion Forever

From Vultus Christi:
As you know well, in Middle Eastern culture, the supper hour is sacred. It is a moment of inviolable intimacy. To sup with an other is to offer him the supreme sign of friendship. You, dear Father Benedict, have been chosen to live in the Friendship of Christ, and this Divine Friendship is signified, and communicated, and sealed in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar. God chose you for this monastery, and chose this monastery for you, because He wanted to give you in the Most Holy Eucharist the Divine Friendship for which He created you, the mystery of that Real Presence apart from which you will always suffer a cruel absence. Yours it is to pray, with Saint Peter Julian Eymard, those verses of Psalm 72 that have, I think, become to you both dear and familiar:
I am alway by thee; for thou hast holden me by my right hand. Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and after that receive me with glory. Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire in comparison of thee. My flesh and my heart faileth; but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever. (Psalm 72:23–26)
(Read more.)
Share

No comments: