Monday, April 8, 2013

Isabel (2012)

Isabel and Fernando
I have been watching a phenomenal Spanish miniseries about the early years of the controversial Queen Isabel of Castile. From the production website:
“Isabel” is a historical drama series that narrates the life of Queen Isabella I of Castile (or Isabella the Catholic, as she is known in Spain). The first season embraces the period from 1461 when, at little more than ten years of age, she is summoned to the Court of Segovia by her half-brother, King Henry IV (whose wife has finally conceived a child) until the moment she is crowned Queen of Castile in 1474.

Her sacrifices, her personality, her companions along the way and her enemies… form the central theme of a series that aims to both entertain and relate, from a modern perspective, the story of a woman ahead of her time, capable of rising to power when this was a domain reserved exclusively for men.

The series aims, too, to tell the story of the pain of the child torn from the arms of her mother, of the adolescent who was never allowed to be one, of her doubts, her sacrifices, of the discovery of love, of her hazardous marriage to Ferdinand of Aragon…

And this part of Isabella’s story (up to the age of 23) is the key to demonstrating how, through her intuition, education, and the influences she receives, a girl barely 16 years of age is forced to make decisions that are to mark the rest of her life and, with the passing of time, the life of a nation. (More here.)

Episode 1 is HERE.

Coronation scene, HERE.

(Images)

Share

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watched first three episodes back-to-back last night, intense but in a good way (evil is real but "not the surest") and found a "making of" clip
http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/isabel/isabel-making-of-isabel/1600367revealing how blue-screening special effects rendered the countryside in all its pristine medieval glory, chuckle!
@MrsKrishan

Terry Nelson said...

I do not have cable or dish - wish I could see it. I was fascinated with that period as a kid - I even read a 'big' book about Isabella - I think it was Walsh who wrote it. Even my mother said I only pretended to read it. I was in love with the story of El Cid. I used to sneak off to the main library and pretend it was my castle - it is a renaissance style building, but the interior staircases and windows are medieval.

elena maria vidal said...

Clare, I have only seen Episode One. Can't wait to see more!


Terry, I love El Cid, too. I watched Isabel on my lap top. The entire series is online, with English subtitles!