Monday, February 7, 2011

Slave Auctions

Revisiting the horror. (Via A Momentary Taste of Being.) To quote:
On one of these sale days, I saw a mother lead seven children to the auction block. She knew that some of them would be taken from her; but they took all. The children were sold to a slave-trader, and their mother bought by a man in her own town. Before night her children were all far away. She begged the trader to tell her where he intended to take them; this he refused to do. How could he, when he knew he would sell them, one by one, wherever he could command the highest price? I met that mother in the street, and her wild, haggard face lives to-day in my mind. She wrung her hands in anguish, and exclaimed, “Gone! All gone! Why don’t God kill me?” I had no words wherewith to comfort her. Instances of this kind are of daily, yea, of hourly occurrence.
Share

2 comments:

Leonard Greco said...

Oh my, such a horror to relive, I thank you for reminding us, but my heart hurts. God bless that dear mother, and her children.

elena maria vidal said...

It is difficult to imagine, isn't it?