Saturday, May 22, 2010

Cradle of Napoleon's Son

Magnifique! (Thanks to Leah Marie Brown)
The only legitimate son of Napoleon I (1769-1821) he was known as LAiglon, the Eaglet, and had the title King of Rome (1811-1814) conferred on him at his birth. His mother was Marie Louise (1791-1847), daughter of Holy Roman Emperor Francis II (later Emperor of Austria as Francis I.) who belonged to one of the oldest families of Europe, the Habsburgs. She married Napoleon I on April 2, 1810. The French were delighted when it was announced Marie Louise was with child. On March 20th of 1811 the child was born in Tuileries Palace. The people of France awaited the canon fire announcing the event: twenty one shots if a daughter, one hundred one for a son. At the twenty second shot cheers burst out; Napoleon had a son. The child slept in a magnificent cradle produced by the collaboration of Thomire, Odiot, and Prud'hon.
Share

12 comments:

Unknown said...

King of Rome? How could he have the right (not to mention the audacity!) to name him that?

~Georgette

elena maria vidal said...

I know, really. :-/ He had no right at all. Don't worry, it didn't last long.....

tubbs said...

How appropriately grandiose for the baby son of a mediterranean gangster!

elena maria vidal said...

Hahaha!

May said...

I can't stand Napoleon and his pretensions. One of those overrated rulers (sorry if anyone's a fan;-)

elena maria vidal said...

Don't worry, Matterhorn. You're safe here......

Julygirl said...

Nevertheless, It is an exquisite piece, a work of art.

tubbs said...

Hapsburg lore: Empress Zita repeated what she knew about the Mayerling (towards the end of her life). I often wonder if she was privy to any secrets about the fate of Nap. II/the Duke of Reichstag(sp?). I believe he was about twenty at the time of his death. There would have been a lot of 'powers that be' wanting him dead. Just wondering...

Dymphna said...

It must have been a bear to keep clean!

elena maria vidal said...

Yes, Julygirl, it is quite something.

Tubbs, from what I understand, Empress Zita was privy to information about a great many things.

Dymphna, that's what I was thinking, too.

Leah Marie Brown said...

I am so glad you were able to find a photo of the cradle. I have a fantastique book given to me by Odiot that has photos of other items made for Napoleon, as well as nobles and royals who once resided at Versailles. I will try to scan them in as soon as I can. All the best.

laughingsalmon said...

Napoleon was such a symbol of the upheaval and change after the French Revolution...An odious bully from what I've read...But he was surrounded by tasteful and talented people...
And that's one of the perks of being an international tyrant...You can name friends and family to any thrones you care too...