Tuesday, March 16, 2010

No Apologies

Women should not be made to apologize for devoting themselves to their families. Our value as persons is too often reduced to how much money we are contributing to the household, or how much of an impact we have made in the world at large. When is our society going to realize that creating a loving home for her husband and children is the greatest and most challenging of achievements for a woman. It requires constant dedication, thought, and creativity. It is a full-time job in itself. Unfortunately, too many women are forced to wear multiple hats, which can be quite a strain. As wife and mother Kate Wicker says:
Womankind doesn't need to be saved or fixed or changed. We don't need to prove ourselves by juggling a career, motherhood, and a slew of other accomplishments. We don't have to wear power suits to be powerful. Our power is found in our femininity, in the wombs that give women the ability to be sacred chambers for new life. Everything that makes women women is what makes them valuable to society. We don't have to contribute to the GDP to be productive. Mothers produce souls -- souls that have eternal value. And women who never have children of their own are still spiritual mothers, helping and nurturing society's underlings.
Share

10 comments:

Julygirl said...

This is all true. While raising a family we kept our expenses down by not spending outrages amounts of money on vacations, clothing, cars, high priced electronics, etc.....AND it costs money when mothers go out of the home to work. However the cost of everything has skyrocketed over the past 20 years plus our country has moved from a mfg. economy to service oriented which means lower salaries, thus requiring two incomes. Granted, people spend money on 'things' they do not need and for that they are paying the 'price'. Families must look into how they can scale down expenses so mothers can stay home and nurture.

BurtonReview said...

Amen.

Alexandra said...

This is super! Thank you. :)

Sarah @ Mum In Bloom said...

Thank you for sharing this. I am a stay-at-home mother an am a member of a fabulous non-profit support group for at-home mothers called MOMS Club www.momsclub.org which has been a big help.

EC Gefroh said...

Oh, I wish I could remember that. I often find myself apologizing when asked why I don't work out of the house. Thank you for sharing this!

elena maria vidal said...

My dear friends, I am glad we all feel the same way.

Julygirl said...

When I was a young mother I felt my work was constantly being interrupted until I realized that the interruptions were my work.

Sanctus Belle said...

Oh how I wish I had heard this when I was a young woman. Thankfully I did wake up but not soon enough..

CR Wall said...

I feel the same relief and regret as you, Sanctus. I spent so many years in college, which is a hard job in and of itself. Finally came the day when I decided I was doing to be a wife and mother, period. I quickly realized it was the one of the best decisions I ever made, but like you, I wish I could have understood the truth of the matter long before.

Sadly, sometimes wisdom comes late.

CR Wall said...
This comment has been removed by the author.