Monday, March 25, 2024

The First Spring Day


I wonder if the sap is stirring yet,
If wintry birds are dreaming of a mate,

If frozen snowdrops feel as yet the sun

And crocus fires are kindling one by one:

Sing, robin, sing!

I still am sore in doubt concerning Spring.
I wonder if the spring-tide of this year
Will bring another Spring both lost and dear;
If heart and spirit will find out their Spring,
Or if the world alone will bud and sing:
Sing, hope, to me!
Sweet notes, my hope, soft notes for memory.
The sap will surely quicken soon or late,
The tardiest bird will twitter to a mate;
So Spring must dawn again with warmth and bloom,
Or in this world, or in the world to come:
Sing, voice of Spring!
Till I too blossom and rejoice and sing.

By Christina Rossetti
(Artwork "The First Buds of Spring" by Lionel Percy Smythe, courtesy of Hermes.) Share

7 comments:

Geralyn Gray said...

Thank you for your sweet words and images of Spring....I am enjoying reading all about Marie Antionette.

elena maria vidal said...

Thank you so much, Geralyn. Your blog is lovely, too!

Kass said...

Hi Elena,I am so glad I found your blog from the Partie Royale !I too am from Pennsylvania and have a soft spot for anyone there- as I no longer live there.I enjoyed reading your older posts as well and thank you for all the factual info you have provided- esp about Marie Antoinette.

elena maria vidal said...

Thank you, Kass, and thank you for adding me to your blog roll. I will return the favor!

Anonymous said...

It was nice to see the word 'twitter' used in a non-internet related way :)

May said...

What a beautiful poem, and picture. You always have such lovely illustrations, in addition to uplifting posts. Thanks.

elena maria vidal said...

Yes, Margaret!

Thank you, Matterhorn!