Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Consideration

Quotes from Vogue's Book of Etiquette, 1969.
A person's good manners are primarily a matter of considerate actions; a house's good manners are largely a matter of considerate furnishings that are comfortable, co-operative, and easy to live with. They take into account the fact that things, no matter how beautiful, are less important than people....

A reasonable amount of shabbiness is nothing to be ashamed of, and certainly should not be confused with dirtiness...Too much newness can have overtones of a store display and give the impression that a house is more of a showpiece than a place for enjoying a full life.
Share

3 comments:

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

That's a great quote, Elena! =)

I'm the kind of person who likes to boil complex concepts down to one meaningful word. Thanks to your links, I've learned that wifely dressing is all about discipline (and really, all women's dressing is!) and that "a house's good manners"--such a wonderfully homey metaphor--are all about consideration.

elena maria vidal said...

Discipline and consideration...I am still a learner where they are concerned....

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Elena, if you are still a learner, then I am still playing hookey! =P

Just because I know what's on the syllabus of life, it doesn't mean that I'm willing to apply myself . . . unfortunately. It's one of those "Lord, make me _____, but not yet!" things for me.