Sunday, May 25, 2008

Marriage Proposals

Should a man still ask a woman's father for her hand in marriage?
One tradition that has been slowly fading away from Western society is asking a woman’s father for her hand in marriage. Many argue that the whole idea smacks of sexism and chauvinism and harks back to times when women were treated like chattel.

Whatever. I think it’s just respectful to ask your future bride’s father for his blessing as you start down the path towards matrimony. It lets your girlfriend’s father know that you’re sincere in your intentions and a true gentleman. It’s an important tradition, a rite of passage, and a bonding experience between you and your future father-in-law. Plus, most women we asked think it’s a sweet gesture.

But it’s no easy task; the experience can make any man a nervous wreck. I remember when I had the talk with my father-in-law; I was sweating bullets. Hopefully, the guidelines that follow will help ease the stress and make the experience bearable if not enjoyable.

Share

6 comments:

Iosue Andreas Sartorius said...

That's how I did, in broken Korean. A terrifying experience.

elena maria vidal said...

That's very admirable, Joshua.

Brantigny said...

My daughter Genevieve and her husband David will celebrate their first anniversary on June 9. David asked for Genevieve's hand about a year and a half before. If I had said no she probably not gotten married. I knew he respected her and treat's her right. They are both virtuous.

eulogos said...

My husband's Anglican priest traveled to Africa to ask his prospective wife's father for permission to marry her. Her parents are missionaries. Not only did he have to do that, but he had to give presents of koala nuts to important people in the village, and pay for some goats for a feast to be held in the village when they got married!

Susan Peterson

elena maria vidal said...

That is beautiful, Richard! Eulogos, thanks for the anecdote! Interesting!

Unknown said...

Catherine is indeed a very interesting character. I write this from Bombay, A city born of her alliance with Charles.