Friday, May 4, 2007

Tennyson's "The Lady of Shalott"


I love this poem and the legend behind it. Yes, I am a hopeless romantic, of the old school.

An excerpt from "The Lady of Shalott" by Alfred Lord Tennyson

But in her web she still delights
To weave the mirror's magic sights,
For often through the silent nights
A funeral, with plumes and lights
And music, went to Camelot;
Or when the Moon was overhead,
Came two young lovers lately wed.
"I am half sick of shadows," said
The Lady of Shalott.

A bow-shot from her bower-eaves,
He rode between the barley sheaves,
The sun came dazzling thro' the leaves,
And flamed upon the brazen greaves
Of bold Sir Lancelot.
A red-cross knight for ever kneel'd
To a lady in his shield,
That sparkled on the yellow field,
Beside remote Shalott.

The gemmy bridle glitter'd free,
Like to some branch of stars we see
Hung in the golden Galaxy.
The bridle bells rang merrily
As he rode down to Camelot:
And from his blazon'd baldric slung
A mighty silver bugle hung,
And as he rode his armor rung
Beside remote Shalott.

All in the blue unclouded weather
Thick-jewell'd shone the saddle-leather,
The helmet and the helmet-feather
Burn'd like one burning flame together,
As he rode down to Camelot.
As often thro' the purple night,
Below the starry clusters bright,
Some bearded meteor, burning bright,
Moves over still Shalott.

His broad clear brow in sunlight glow'd;
On burnish'd hooves his war-horse trode;
From underneath his helmet flow'd
His coal-black curls as on he rode,
As he rode down to Camelot.
From the bank and from the river
He flashed into the crystal mirror,
"Tirra lirra," by the river
Sang Sir Lancelot.

She left the web, she left the loom,
She made three paces through the room,
She saw the water-lily bloom,
She saw the helmet and the plume,
She look'd down to Camelot.
Out flew the web and floated wide;
The mirror crack'd from side to side;
"The curse is come upon me," cried
The Lady of Shalott.

Share

8 comments:

Michelle Therese said...

I LOVE this poem as well! Have you heard Lorenna McKinnet's song version?

I have to tell you something off topic via your comments:

Speaking of spiritual attack, my blog has been locked down for the past three days. The only way I can get logged on is if I come to another blog and log on to leave a comment. So if you notice any short kinda pointless comments from me...I hope you won't be offended!!

GOD BLESS!!

elena maria vidal said...

No, I have not heard the song. How lovely it must be.

Oh, Coffee, I have been through similar computer trials! I will pray! Do whatever you need to do, be my guest. I am delighted to have all of your comments. Blessings to you!

Unknown said...

This is a clip of her performing live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU_Tn-HxULM

(If you're not familiar with her, her official website is www.quinlanroad.com)

elena maria vidal said...

Well, thank you, Lucille.

Warren said...

Yay for old-school romantics, and other hopeless cases. I am one too, or at least I try to be.

Oh, and while simultaneously aspiring towards being Mr. Manly Man, too. :-)

(This in reference to SeraphicSingle's blog post of today.)

+W+

elena maria vidal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lady Jane said...

"The Lady of Shalott" is my favorite poem and the Waterhouse painting you posted is my favorite painting. I adore Tennyson's work.

elena maria vidal said...

Thanks, Lady Jane! I love Tennyson, too!