Saturday, May 5, 2007

Some poems by Sarah Teasdale

Here are a few hopelessly romantic poems by Sarah Teasdale. She was an American poetess and wrote very lyrically about spring and death and unrequited love.

"Barter"

Life has loveliness to sell,
All beautiful and splendid things,
Blue waves whitened on a cliff,
Soaring fire that sways and sings,
And children's faces looking up
Holding wonder like a cup.

Life has loveliness to sell,
Music like a curve of gold,
Scent of pine trees in the rain,
Eyes that love you, arms that hold,
And for your spirit's still delight,
Holy thoughts that star the night.

Spend all you have for loveliness,
Buy it and never count the cost;
For one white singing hour of peace
Count many a year of strife well lost,
And for a breath of ecstasy
Give all you have been, or could be.


"Spring Rain"

I thought I had forgotten,
But it all came back again
To-night with the first spring thunder
In a rush of rain.

I remembered a darkened doorway
Where we stood while the storm swept by,
Thunder gripping the earth
And lightning scrawled on the sky.

The passing motor busses swayed,
For the street was a river of rain,
Lashed into little golden waves
In the lamp light's stain.

With the wild spring rain and thunder
My heart was wild and gay;
Your eyes said more to me that night
Than your lips would ever say. . . .

I thought I had forgotten,
But it all came back again
To-night with the first spring thunder
In a rush of rain.

"Hidden Love"

I hid the love within my heart,
And lit the laughter in my eyes,
That when we meet he may not know
My love that never dies.

But sometimes when he dreams at night
Of fragrant forests green and dim,
It may be that my love crept out
And brought the dream to him.

And sometimes when his heart is sick
And suddenly grows well again,
It may be that my love was there
To free his life of pain.


"Change"

Remember me as I was then;
Turn from me now, but always see
The laughing shadowy girl who stood
At midnight by the flowering tree,
With eyes that love had made as bright
As the trembling stars of the summer night.

Turn from me now, but always hear
The muted laughter in the dew
Of that one year of youth we had,
The only youth we ever knew --
Turn from me now, or you will see
What other years have done to me.


"The Look"


Strephon kissed me in the spring,
Robin in the fall,
But Colin only looked at me
And never kissed at all.

Strephon's kiss was lost in jest,
Robin's lost in play,
But the kiss in Colin's eyes
Haunts me night and day.

Share

5 comments:

Emily said...

Those are very beautiful. Thank you for sharing. I like Sara Teasdale, and I have never read "Spring Rain" before.

elena maria vidal said...

Thank you, Emily. I could have a blog with nothing but Sara Teasdale. I guess I should be more sophisticated and like someone morbid, such as Sylvia Plath.

Anonymous said...

What kind of a name is "Strephon?"

Anonymous said...

I love these...as for Sylvia Plath too much introspection.

Thankyou once again Elena I will now look up Sarah Teasdale.

Yours in Christ,

Marie

elena maria vidal said...

Wordsmith, I have no idea.

Yes, Marie, although I probably should not have been too harsh on Sylvia, since poor Sarah also committed suicide. But Sarah's poems are so uplifting and spiritual in spite of everything she was going through, and you are right, she does not give the impression of total introspection, but she focuses on nature and love.