Saturday, April 7, 2007

Thoughts on the 2007 Triduum

Because of various circumstances, we have not at been our home parish for the Paschal solemnities. After belonging to our parish for almost a decade, we have become used to the liturgical variations there. We may not accept the liturgical idiosyncracies, but at least we know what to expect.

However, an "alien" parish can be full of surprises, almost like being in a foreign land. I found myself continuing wondering, "Oh. Why are they doing THAT?" I was startled on Good Friday, when instead of a homily, meditations were read by various people throughout the congregation. (I only hoped they did not expect me to say anything.) Then before Communion, two well-heeled ladies traipsed around the sanctuary as they replaced the altar cloth and sacred linens, while the three altar servers just sat there. Why even have altar servers? The local Baptist choir was assisting the Catholic choir with the hymns. Not surprisingly, the hymns were all Protestant; none of the beautiful Good Friday chants written for the liturgy of the Church were heard.

Oh well, I saw it as a final Lenten mortification. I tried to think, as I saw recommended on some blog or other, that I myself am a "liturgical abuse," but it did not help. I may be a great sinner but I am a person and a person is not a liturgical abuse (unless they get up and start dancing on the altar.) In spite of my copious faults, sins, and mistakes, I love it when the rubrics laid down by the Church for the worship of Almighty God are observed. It is a distraction to be trying to pray the Mass and have to watch people indulge their creative impulses on the altar.

Brimming with Paschal hope, we made our way to the same church for the Easter vigil. It was much better than the Good Friday service; in fact, it was a beautiful Mass. Although I wonder if I am the only one who finds the spectacle of adolescent girls with stiletto heels showing underneath of red cassocks to be a ridiculous sight. Long hair, stiletto pumps, jewelry, cassock and surplice--isn't that a bizarre combination?

Mercifully, the mysteries of the liturgy helped me to forget the quirks. The incense was positively Byzantine-- really, no Roman incense smells so heavenly. The music was, well, not Gregorian chant but at least high Anglican--all those grand old Easter hymns. There is a glory about Easter that exceeds all annoyances; it is an invitation to enter into the joy of the Lord. The liturgical aberrations have gone about as far as they can go, I think. I pray that the dignity and splendor of the Mass is soon restored. Share

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about offering up the liturgical abberations we witness. Sigh. At least you had good music on Easter Sunday. :)

We went to the Midnight Mass and although it is not what I would wish it could be, it was better than past years. Outdoors in the courtyard with lights in the trees and on the stage where an occassional breeze was felt--much better than the overcrowded indoors where you do everything not to pass out with the heat and stuffiness! The music is never really seasonal here, but maybe that's a cultural thing. Lots of Telegu mixed in. There was one song the choir did that sounded good, but it was in either Hindi or Telegu (I'm not always good at beign able to tell the difference!) I do miss the traditional hymns so much. I'm with you, hoping for the return of the Latin Mass soon. It would be a good thing for the world, over. Perhaps if it is said here once again, the beautiful music will return as well.

Anonymous said...

We had an odd experience at Easter Sunday Mass this year. A great homily was given and we were very grateful for that. The flowers were lovely. But we were subjected to the most banal, cheesy, and embarassingly inappropriate LOUD music I have ever heard at Mass.

The music was so grating that I had to pray the entire time. It actually brought tears to my eyes that Jesus was shown such disrespect and irreverence.

We were blasted by schmalzy and inane ditties that I have blessedly forgotten the words to - all to a lounge, funk-jazz-bar beat and feel. Drums, cymbals, electric guitars, bongo drums, odd clicking instruments that made noises like the perking in the Maxwell House Coffee commercial.......

I looked behind me at several points to see how the rest of the congregation was responding. Only a handful were singing along and looked 'into' it. The rest looked bewildered, disgusted or sad.

The 'Easter Band' jammed in the sanctuary for a few minutes after Mass, even though people were staying obviously trying to pray.

My husband and I were very disappointed. We had hoped to hear lovely music at Mass to celebrate Christ's Resurrection. Instead we were taken (with our children) to jazz nightclub.