Thursday, February 8, 2007

On Christian films made by non-Christians

Godspy has a provocative article about why non-Christians make better Christian films than some Christians do. I don't say I agree with every word of it; not at all. In fact one or two of the movies that the author calls "unwatchable" are films which I enjoyed very much, such as Entertaining Angels. I must say that I was glad to see that the article mentioned Catholic John Ford as a great filmmaker; his movies, especially the older ones, are among my favorites - every scene is a work of art. I think that M. Night Shyamalan, although not a Catholic (as far as I know) makes films with deeply Christian themes, whether intentional or not. Share

3 comments:

Alan Phipps said...

I agree; I have this to be true also with books. Robert Bolt does not even consider himself a Christian, yet he was able to write "A Man For All Seasons" and "The Mission". The same might be said about Umberto Eco as well. And you are definitely right about M. Night Shyamalan.

elena maria vidal said...

Yes, Alan, I agree with you about those authors. They are powerful writers and are able to impart the faith of their characters. Like some of the great actors and actresses, too, who were able to portray saints convincingly, like Ingrid Bergman as Saint Joan, although she was not a believer.

Anonymous said...

Not on the same subject but, my son said he highly recommends "Flags of Our Fathers" which recently came out on DVD. He said it is the best movie about war that he has ever seen, and it is a mystery to me why Clint Eastwood has won Oscars when Michael Scorcese has not.